Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Knitting Project #4/Learning how to Purl/Dishcloth

Mom didn't like the Round Dishcloth ,,, she said it used to many brain cells and you have to keep track of where you are and which row you are on, way to much,,, She likes to watch tv while she knits and that pattern was just not tv-watching friendly,,,, I had to agree, I needed to find something so I can watch Bon Jovi while knitting :-) 

Wanting to learn how to Purl,,,I went on the search for a dishcloth pattern that included the Purl stitch,,, but not overdoing it so much that we  would keep losing track and not want to finish...
I came across a site by tricksyknitter , that has 4 free washcloth patterns ranging from easy to more advanced. Sounded exactly like what I was looking for.  I chose pattern #3 and after figuring it out and completing my second one, I can say....This is my favorite pattern so far.

She doesn't have a close up picture of this particular wash/dishcloth, but I took a chance and love how it turned out. One side is a little smoother and the 
other has the little bumps.  

 The first one I made,,,I used a size 8 needle, cast-on 24 and followed the pattern. The finished square is 6",,,, way to small for my Mom. She likes her dishcloths to be around an 8" square.  The next one I made,,, I still used a size 8 needle, but,,,,cast on 34 and repeat rows 1-4,,,  thirteen times, knit row 53, bind off on row 54.  This one is closer to an 8" square when finished.

To get this free pattern, click on the link below and scroll down to Pattern 3...
Sand Stitch Washcloth by Megan Goodacre at tricksyknitter.
A Big Thank you Megan for sharing this pattern :-D

Now Mom,,,,You're still gonna have to make a chart and keep track of which row you are on, but this one is a lot easier to keep track of than the Round Dishcloth. So give it a try.

For this pattern,,,we need to learn how to Purl. 
I went back to one of my favorite sites, Knitpicks ,and found they had video tutorials for both the English and Continental versions of Purling. (If you have no idea what I'm talking about... please take a look on my page...Learning how-to Knit )
Click on the links below to get started:
Purl Stitch- English
Purl Stitch- Continental 

What I found out with this pattern.... Knowing the difference between a purl stitch and a knit stitch, makes knitting and watching tv a possibility. 

 Pictured above...front view. Showing Knits and Purls.
Pictured on the left...Last stitch was a Knit stitch. Bring your working yarn towards you to make a Purl Stitch....
Pictured on the right...Last stitch was a Purl Stitch. Place working yarn away from you to make the next Knit Stitch.

Hope these pictures help you a little. and Mom,,,I'm expecting a phone call soon, letting me know how many you  have made :-D

***I made 5 washcloths using 2 skeins 70.9g/2.5 oz Peaches & Creme 100% USA Grown Cotton Yarn


No comments:

Post a Comment